The Fountain Park Neighborhood is located in mid St Louis City. The borders are Delmar Blvd to the south, Kingshighway to the west, Dr Martin Luther King Blvd to the north and Walton to the east. Surrounding neighborhoods are Kingsway East to the north, Academy to the west, the Central West End Neighborhood to the south and the Lewis Place Neighborhood to the east.
The St. Louis Public School District serves the residents of the neighborhood. The Washington Montessori Elementary School is located in the Fountain Park Neighborhood on North Euclid. It one of the several District's Magnet schools and has a focus on "General Academics" with a "Gifted Enrichment" program available.
The Fountain Park Neighborhood is named for the oval park that is located in the middle of the neighborhood and surrounded by Fountain Avenue. The park was established in 1857 when the Aubert Place subdivision was laid out. It is a 1.5 acre park and was donated to the City of St. Louis in 1889 and is the city's oldest public open space. The fountain in the middle of the park that gives the park its name, was a gift from the Merchant Exchange. The statue of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., crafted by the St. Louis sculptor Rudolph Torrini, was placed in the park in 1978. Within the neighborhood is the Fountain Park Historic District that was place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The Cabanne Branch of the St. Louis Public Library system is located close by in the Academy Neighborhood on Union Boulevard. The Cabanne Branch was the second of the original six branches, along with the Central Library, built in 1906 with the generous gift given by Andrew Carnegie.
The beautiful Italian Romanesque Revival designed church building found on the south west side of the park was built in 1896 for the Third Congregational Church. Since 1945 it has been the location of the Centennial Christian Church which was established in 1904.